AMPCO® Aluminium Bronze
- A highly polishable, high-strength and better alternative to brass with better grain.
- Higher mechanical properties without lead and cleaner trace elements.
- High wear characteristics and corrosion resistance.
- Best movement material for sliding, motion and typical wear parts with friction problems.
- Recommended for how to solve cavitation problems, galling, tooth flank damage, avoiding nickel contamination and surface problems on stainless steel.
Aluminium bronzes are part of a copper alloys family containing aluminium as their principal alloying element. The properties of these alloys are governed by the properties of copper and aluminium when melted and casted together in rigorous and well-controlled processes.
Aluminium is soluble in copper up to about 8 wt%. This solution is characterised by a homogeneous single alpha phase which displays high ductility and excellent corrosion resistance by forming a protective skin of aluminium oxide on the surface. When increasing the aluminium content, a second phase forms in the microstructure known as beta phase. These alloys are harder than a single alpha phase, with higher strength and higher mechanical properties.
Other alloying elements can be used like nickel to further improve the resistance to corrosion and mechanical properties. These alloys are used in highly-loaded construction parts that can be exposed to aggressive corrosion environments.
AMPCO METAL was a pioneer in developing aluminium bronze alloys and continues to engineer premium products for critical applications with its well-known AMPCO® product line to this day. Our high-quality, high property and uniquely hard metal range is trusted the world over for its broad use. AMPCO® Aluminium Bronze even extends to food-approved applications through alloys such as AMPCO® 8, AMPCO® 18 and AMPCO® M4.